OPEN INNOVATIONS FORUM WILL HOST THE FINAL OF THE FEDERAL COMPETITION OF INNOVATIONS IN EDUCATION
The competition of innovations in education (CIE) has been held since 2014 by the NRU HSE Institute of Education and the Rybakov Foundation with the support of the Agency for Strategic Initiatives. The competition is aimed at supporting grassroots educational initiatives that have not been implemented by commercial or institutional organizations yet. Project teams from one to six people are invited to participate in the competition.
In 2019, the competition received 601 applications. The maximum number of applications was received in categories "Application of digital technologies to transform education"; "Assistance in choosing educational and occupational paths, socialization of youth" and "Development of XXI century soft skills and competences in students". The most popular project fields: additional education and upbringing (238 applications), secondary and high school (218 applications), gaming and interactive technologies (126 applications). 24 semi-finalist projects went through acceleration in CIE summer school in Moscow.
«Our talking about innovations of the year is not for nothing, because every year CIE projects demonstrate innovative trends of the entire education ecosystem. The range of projects is huge — social initiatives related, for example, with inclusion or penitentiary pedagogy, solutions aimed at developing new competencies in teachers themselves, and, of course, projects devoted to digital transformation of education», — said Diana Koroleva, Director of the Competition, highlighting the variety of projects.
The finals of the CIE will be held on October 21 in the Skolkovo Technopark within the scope of the international Open Innovations Forum. The projects will compete for the main prize — a grant to travel anywhere in the world to present their project, as well as prizes in the nominations of the Group of companies "Prosveshchenie", Corporation "Rossiysky uchebnik", Agency for strategic initiatives, Moscow Agency of Innovations, Sberbank Charitable Foundation "Investment to the Future", and other projects.
«Despite the fact that the main prize of the competition — travel grant — will be received by only one team, we do not follow the formula "Winner takes it all", we have a win-win approach. First, the competition has many partners and nominations, so each startup will receive support from large corporations in the form of a contract or other resource for the development of the project. Secondly, the emergence of innovations in itself is what modern teachers, parents, children need, that is, the whole society wins», — said Diana Koroleva, highlighting the impact-oriented approach of CIE.
The jury was co-chaired by Issak Frumin, Research Director of NRU HSE Institute of Education, and Ekaterina Rybakova, President of the Rybakov Foundation. The jury of the competition consists of leading Russian experts in the field of education, EdTech and social entrepreneurship. In 2018, the jury for the first time included foreign experts — Marques Anderson, Founder and Director General of the Global Education Organization; Gabor Halasz, Professor at the ELTE Budapest University; Andreas Schleicher, Education and Skills Director of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development; Maciej Jakubowski, Director of Evidence Institute. In 2019, Neil O'Toole, consultant at EDvisor Finland Learning Designers, became a part of the jury.
Projects-finalists of CIE 2019
1. Genetics of AR. Mobile application for high school students with augmented reality for visualization of genetic inheritance mechanisms (Vladivostok, Primorsky Krai)
2. Digital Tutor School. Training system for training new generation of methodologists with skills of agile and pedagogical design (Ekaterinburg, Sverdlovsk region)
3. Common Space. Technique of inter-school cooperation aimed at solving urgent problems of students (Yoshkar-Ola, Mari El Republic)
4. Consultation room "Out of conflict" (CROC). Complex for the formation of a conflict-free environment in the triad "teacher-student-parent" (Kazan, Tatarstan)
5. Technique of teaching students of different ages in the penitentiary system (Kansk, Krasnoyarsk region)
6. Walking space. Participatory designing of school yards with children (Moscow)
7. "Peer-to-peer RU School (Road User School)". Complex of manuals on traffic rules created by students of grade 8-11 for peers with health limitations (Sigaevo village, Udmurtia)
8. "Between you and me". Online platform for inclusive prevention of bullying of hearing-impaired children (St. Petersburg)
9. SPbCTF. Complex of training games on cybersecurity for schoolchildren and students (St. Petersburg)
10. Metaskills Simulator. Technique of training teachers to teach metasubject skills (Mtsensk, Oryol region)
The winner of the CIE in 2018 was virtual molecular design kit "Nanolab". During the five years of the competition, more than 4,000 projects were received and reviewed from all regions of the country and 20 foreign countries. The competition covers a community of more than 10,000 innovators and entrepreneurs in the field of education throughout Russia. Projects-finalists of the competition had the opportunity to further develop at CIE partners’ sites (ASI, RVC, Microsoft, Sberbank, HSE Institute of Education, Association of Children's Products, "Prosveshchenie", "Rybakov Foundation"). Today, more than 150 projects are being successfully implemented. Such well-known projects as "Teacher for Russia", "Kodabra", "Moscow Through the Eyes of an Engineer", "Bilim" club were developed at the competition.